Just how to write letters, essays, reports, reviews, articles.
1. INFORMAL LETTERS
2. INFORMAL LETTER IN 7 STEPS 1. SALUTATION, (Comma & Hey!) 2. START A LETTER Thank for the letter that is previous apologize for not writing before, one or two questions regarding family or friends. (1 short paragraph) — Informal letters to strangers: good reason why you are writing — 3. BODY Answer the data that you have already been told, express your interest to learn more about that which was mentioned before. Make positive comments, respond 1 by 1 & use imagination. (2 paragraphs) 4. END YOUR LETTER with a few questions so the receiver feels, motivated to reply. Give news, be emotional, plan a date, leave contact details (1 pragraph that is short 5. CLOSING LINE (1 line 10 – 15 words) 6. COMPLIMENTARY CLOSE (a few words) You may use contractions or phrasal verbs ?
3. INFORMAL LETTER 1. Dear Martin, 2. TO essay writing START A LETTER • Thank you for your letter. It had been great to listen to from you. How’s the new baby? • thank you for your letter and sorry for not replying sooner. • Sorry We haven’t written for such a long time. I’ve been really busy lately. So that you bought a house that is new! How is it?
4. 6. COMPLIMENTARY CLOSE • Love, • Lots of love, • Cheers! Take it simple! • Best wishes, • all of the best, Marking Code: Capitalization, Organisation, Punctuation, Register/Formality, Sentence Structure, Spelling, Wrong form, Word order, Wrong tense, Wrong word, Word(s) missing, Omit word. INFORMAL LETTER 5. TO END A LETTER • Give my love to… • Ok, i have surely got to go now, so see you soon! • That’s about all. Do write soon and let me know everything you’ve been doing. • I look ahead to seeing you soon. Many thanks in advance for the help.
5. “Task letter”
6. 1. Hello Simon, 2. I’m glad you find attractive my country. As your friend said, I’d like us to email each other to help me boost your English. 3. i would ike to begin by letting you know a bit about myself and my loved ones. My name’s Ivo and I reside in Kutna Hora, which will be about 45 minutes from Prague by car. I used to exert effort for a medical company but now I’m understanding how to be a salesperson. In the future I want a working job where i could travel for might work. I’ve recently been to a couple places in Europe but I’ve never been to an country that is english-speaking. I live acquainted with my parents, which will be convenient, as I don’t need to do housework that is much my meals are cooked for me. My younger brother is their studies at university. Than me, we get on quite well although he is four years younger. We both enjoy music and snowboarding. 4. think about you? Perhaps you have gone to the Czech Republic? It will be great in the event that you could come over one day therefore we could fix a meeting up. Why don’t you let me know your plans? 5. Anyway, i need to go to get on with my work! Looking forward to hearing from you soon. 6. Best wishes, 7. Siore (180-190 words)
7. FORMAL LETTERS
8. FORMAL LETTER IN 7 STEPS 1. SALUTATION, To strangers: To whom it would likely concern, 2. START A LETTER State the good reason why you might be writing. (1 short paragraph) 3. BODY Answer the info that you have been told. Give information about the presssing issue you will be currently talking about. Respond the job references 1 by 1 & use imagination. (2 paragraphs) 4. END YOUR LETTER by expressing what would you like to get as a result or answer. (Offer solutions, ask for something in return). Leave contact details (1 pragraph that is short 5. CLOSING LINE (look ahead to ______ing ….) 6. COMPLIMENTARY CLOSE (2 words) You might not use contractions NOR phrasal verbs ?
9. FORMAL LETTER ORGANISING THE given information firstly Secondly In addition Lastly / Last but not least 5. TO FINISH A LETTER I am getting excited about hearing away from you soon. Don’t use contractions. Dear Sir/Madam, Dear Mr. / Mrs. Smith Yours faithfully Yours sincerely 6. COMPLIMENTARY CLOSE yours sincerely, yours faithfully,
10. 1. Dear Mr. Smith, 2. I am writing to try to get the career of . that we saw advertised in “The Guardian” newspaper. 3. I am 23 yrs old as well as as soon as I am studying … at …. .Having studied English for more than seven years i will be a fluent speaker associated with the language. My qualifications also include Proficiency certificates in both French and German. As far as experience can be involved, We have worked as . for . In terms of my personality, people let me know i will be . 4. I feel I would personally be suitable for this working job because I. . This may give me the chance to ….. . I would also like the chance to. 5. I look ahead to hearing away from you. 6. yours sincerely, 7. Siorella Gonzales
11. FCE ESSAY PRIOR TO STARTING Think of an answer to your Essay question! Plan your essay. (Brainstorm for 5-10 minutes) Manage your time and effort. (Aprox. 40 minutes) WHEN YOU FINISH be sure you have expressed yourself clearly. Check your writing for grammar & spelling mistakes. TIPS NO contractions, colloquial expressions or ‘chatty’ style. Use complex grammar structures and vocabulary that is sophisticated conditional sentences and all sorts of PRESENT,PAST, FUTURE tenses. Give your OPINION AT THE END, NOT at the start.
12. The introduction should: • Start general and go til specific • be 3 to 4 sentences long. • have a sentence or 2 concerning the topic generally speaking. • have a sentence telling the reader if the essay will glance at once or both sides regarding the issue. • have a question/idea that you will answer in your essay. (Paragraph 4) the final outcome should: • Start with :: In closing” ,“In the end”, “To sum up” etc… • be 2 to 3 sentences long. • Include a listing of your points that are main. • have a reference into the question that is originalmake an effort to rephrase it). • have your opinion: “I believe…” I think” “I reckon” • have NO new information.
13. STRUCTURING YOUR ESSAY Mathematics! • Most people talk about 10-12 words per line. • you must write an overall total of 190 words, so you should come up with 18 lines as a whole. INTRODUCTION: (general thought) 3 lines (30-40 words) Paragraph 1/ Idea 1 4 lines (40 words) Paragraph 2 / Idea 2 4 lines (40 words) Paragraph 3 / Idea 3 4 lines (40 words) in summary, 3 lines (30-40 words)
14. OUTLINE I. INTRODUCTION II. CONTRAST OF ARGUMENTS A. ADVANTAGES B. DISADVANTAGES (ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES). C. GIVING OPINIONS OR SUGGESTIONS ABOUT THE TITLE. III. CONCLUSION
15. MEETING THE GOAL
16. TASK 3: a. Write the first draft of one’s essay in a bit of paper. (10 min) b. Check your partner’s draft that is first.
17. ESSAY LINKS http://teacher.sch olastic.com/activiti es/writing/persuas iveflash/transition alwords.htm http://www.flo- joe.co.uk/fce/stud ents/writing/linkin g/ Example question In class you’ve been technology that is discussing. Now, your English teacher has asked you to write an essay. Write an essay using all of the notes and present reasons for your point of view. You have to write your answer in 140-190 words in an style that is appropriate. Nowadays, technology is everywhere. Has technology made people’s lives better or worse? Notes write on: 1.medical science 2.the internet 3.your idea that is own